Tuesday 25 March 2014

Craft Catch Up

So I have to be honest.. we have actually been in the new house for about three months now...I think it's safe to say I'm not very good at blogging about our home renovation process... but I have been desperate to start blogging again. So I'm sticking to what I know (though I will share some updates about the house soon, I promise!)

What I know and love is craft, and right not I have a few woolly projects I would like to share with you. Clockwise from the top left we have, crochet hats, a granny square blanket, a crocheted throw and a knitted cardigan. They are all works in progress but I thought I would share them anyway.



First up the crocheted hats, this ideas came about from a basket pattern which I found in the Homemaker magazine.


After I had crocheted the smallest basket, my mum commented that it would make a great hat, and so I searched the web and came across this very similar pattern, I have used a really chunky yarn and a 10mm(!) hook, so these babies will definitely keep your head warm in the winter.


(The hat is actually hat shaped, it was just very difficult to get it to keep its shape for the photo!)

My plan is to test the sizes out on friends and colleagues and get an idea of which size fits which size heads best, from there I can then make hats in any weight wool and size crochet hook as long as I increase to the right size to start with. I have become to crochet recently, since teaching myself using various YouTube videos last year. There will definitely be more hats in the future and I will keep you updated on the best size for a certain head and will share how I amended the pattern to get the right size.


Then we have this little granny square blanket.


I steered away from my usual preference for neutral colours and went with bright with pink and purple, I think when it's finished it would be perfect for a little girls room. I haven't got particularly far with this, mainly due to a design decision which I could not make, which was basically whether to make one big granny square or a medium size granny square surrounded by normal size granny squares like these:


I have gone for one big granny square as I have really likes the look as I have been increasing, and I think a scallop edge would look lovely to finish it off. I'm slowly chipping away at this each night at the minute doing one or two rounds, so I will keep you updated as to my progress. However if you like the style of granny squares, I found the tutorial for this style here, the video is really easy to understand and really clear for a beginner crochet-er (mastering these squares was the first thing I learnt in crochet!)



Up next is the crochet throw, I started making this when our offer on this house got accepted. We knew then that we wanted a grey and white living room. Our inspiration from here and here. So as soon as our offer went through I got to work with this throw ready to keep us snuggly and warm on our new sofa in our new home. But then the sale took an absolute age to go through and I kind of lost enthusiasm, so the poor little throw is still only half complete.



This is another one that I chip away at occasionally when the mood strikes, and it is progressing steadily. again I am thinking of edging this with white, i just haven't decided on a style, I may just go plain and simple, after all I am sure there is such a thing as too much scallop edging! To make this I have done rows of single, double and treble crochet worked as follows:

  • Chain 90
  • Single crochet full row
  • Double crochet full row
  • Treble crochet full row
  • Double crochet full row
And then repeat from single crochet.


I will end on a single crochet and then do one mahoosive round of white all the way around, not only to finish off but to draw attention away from my wavy sides... whoops.


And finally, it's a little knitted cardigan that is very much in its first few weeks of life. I first saw this pattern in the June 2013 'Let's knit' magazine and have wanted to do it ever since, but this scary little chart terrified me and I didn't have a clue where to start. YouTube couldn't save me this time, I needed some hands on help, so I just put the magazine to one side and focused on other things.


But I never forgot the pattern. So, when I started attending a local Knit and Natter group at Cobwebs in Tottington, I took this pattern with me to draw on other people's knowledge and skill, and we're finally away!

I have made it through the chart and I am knitting my way up the back of the cardigan. I don't expect I will be finished this project any time soon, it's something I save for the weekly Knit and Natter group, so I have help on hand when needed!

I am knitting this in Rico`Essentials Merino Double Knit and 3.25mm needles as directed so it's not growing terribly quickly, but I don't think anything will deter me from this, I have been waiting over nine months to get it started and I am loving every stitch!



The last image gives the most accurate reflection of the true colour of the yarn. 

So there you have it, a little insight into some of my craft projects. All very woolly at the minute, I am currently having a bit of a love affair with yarn I have to admit!

Has anyone else used YouTube to learn a new craft? Or do you prefer learning from friends and family?

And just for fun, some photo bombs from Eric...



Muchos x


No comments:

Post a Comment