Tuesday 17 September 2013

Upcycled Biscuit Tin

So, after the framed pin board project here. We had rather a lot of paint left. And I couldn't resist painting something else.


I'm always looking to reuse items we already have to create storage to help keep us organised. On my hunt for a paintable object I came across this old biscuit tin, whilst I don't hate the pattern or the colours, I am very colour scheme focused and there will be no room in our new house that will incorporate that many colours, so I got paintbrush happy.


This was solely my project so one coat of undercoat was all that was needed.


And then it got the white gloss treatment, and it was perfectly covered, lovely and glossy white and a tad boring. The main colour for our new dining room is going to be green, and we plan to carry this through to the kitchen. I want the green to be light and fresh and natural and will also be throwing in a few splashes of yellow. So a yellow stripe was in order for my rather boring glossy white tin.


I put masking tape around the top and bottom of the tin leaving a stripe uncovered across the middle. I tried to be very careful and keep the tape straight..I did my best.


Then out came this delicious pot of 'Taxi' yellow paint which I have had for quite some time now.


I decided to use a sponge to apply the paint to give the stripe a different texture to the rest of the tin.

Stripe painted I loved the speckled effect against the smooth gloss. But here is where I made my mistake, I left the masking tape on during the drying stage, instead of removing it straight away, so I did get some bleed through :(


But from afar you can't tell!


An excellent storage solution for all our tall utensils, and we have many, shown is just a small selection, I don't even know what half of the others do!


So my paint craving hands were satisfied, I'm not sure that this will be our forever storage tin for the kitchen, it was a very rush job after all, but I can already see a future for this tin holding various knitting needles, crochet hooks, maybe a few craft scissors...

And as for the bleed through, well I have a solution! I have recently ordered some Washi tape from the knickknackshop on Etsy, here. I got various tapes with yellow and green patterns - they will cover up the bleed through no problemo! I will update once they have arrived and been installed on my tin.


1 comment:

  1. Very resourceful and looks great! Ian

    ReplyDelete